Friday 23 April 2010

And so it begins...

Skipping my morning coffee didn't seem like such a big deal today - that is, until the migraine hit on the left side of my head. That's when I realized how dependent I've become on that hit of liquid gold each & every morning. Instead, today, I made do with a minty green tea. It was nice, but didn't quite cut it.

A few times thoughout the course of the day, I came close to slipping up. But then, I'd catch myself & I'd feel pretty darned good about it. Kind of self-righteous. Kind of like, "Look at how good I am. I'm not going through the Timmies drive-thru for a medium double-double." I was armed with a bottle of water. Yes, I did well.

And then, I was caught off-guard. The visit to my mom & dad's house was unexpected. So was their insistance that we all have ice cream. Real cream ice cream. Double churned. With specks of vanilla. Good lord! This was a a very real threat to my will-power. So there I sat, watching them happily lap up their ice cream cones. As for me? I munched on some walnuts my mom had & a small bunch of grapes. Was I happy about it? HELL NO! But I did it...and I'm proud-ish.

Off I went to our local Longos with the kids in tow. Goodies abounded! The nice lady offering cheese (which I couldn't sample because it was regular cow's milk cheese). Our cousin called us over from behind the deli counter with some samples of mortadella. Oh, the kids were in their glory! I was in agony. But I kept telling myself that this cleanse is good for me. Really, it is. It's GREAT FOR ME!!!! YESSSSSS....FANTASTIC. FAN-FRICKIN-TASTIC! (ehem)

The day's not quite over yet, but I think I've done well so far:

Breakfast:
Green tea with blue agave nectar
some weird cereal - I forget the name of the grain, but it's allowed, with almond milk (yeah, no dairy except goat's milk cheese)

Lunch: A salad with all kinds of veggies, topped with tuna

Snack: peppers w/ hummus

enforced snack at my parents' place: 5 walnuts & some grapes

Dinner: grilled chicken breast, rapini, cauliflower, broccoli & carrots

Dessert: an oreo cookie Blizzard

Okay, I'm joking about the dessert part....The reality of it is this: the migraine became so severe that all I could do to keep from trying to pry my left eye out with a kitchen utensil was go to sleep. And that's exactly what I did. I slept from 7:30pm until now (mindigh-ish). But I think I'm ready to go to sleep again.
Detox rocks! Wooo hooooo!

No comments: