Tuesday 11 May 2010

Coffee = Happiness

After 2 long weeks of detox, my first sip of espresso was indescribably...divine. Really, that's the only term that comes to mind. DIVINE!

But why is coffee so precious to me? Truth be told, I'm able to manage without it. The first days of detox left me with horrific symptoms of caffeine withdrawal. I don't care if people think it's psychological, but I can tell you that the stabbing pain behind my left eye was very very real. And yet, I'm here to tell my tale.

So I can manage without coffee, but I don't want to. Why? Because! Because coffee is good. Coffee is home. Coffee is friendship. Coffee is happiness!!!

I grew up with coffee playing a huge part in my life. Every morning, I'd awaken to the glorious scent of espresso brewing in the kitchen. Even as a young child, espresso found its' way into my breakfast routine: latte e caffe con biscottini (biscuits/cookies with a latte). Such sweetness! Eventually, I graduated to drinking espresso straight up with only a hint of sugar. I was 13 & it was my great-aunt, Zia Michellina, who said she felt I was mature enough to handle it.

Guests were never allowed to leave without the mandatory "caffe tra amici". Friendship = Coffee. In fact, my mother always said "Il caffe freddo si offre agli amici" (iced coffee is always offered to friends), so we always made sure we had some on hand.

As for the sugar? It's a matter of preference. My mom's friend, "Maria La Romana" would say, "la vita e' gia' abbastanza amare per non prendere lo zucchero nel caffe" (life is already bitter enough to not take sugar in one's coffee).

And so, I've learned that I need not depend on my vice. However, I will continue my reverence & appreciation for the "liquid gold". It's far too good to pass up.

No comments: