Thursday 26 February 2009

Zeppole Time!!!


These months are renowned for the depressing weather & constant onslaught of snow, snow & more snow. Fortunately, we have the return of "zeppole"! The production of these tasty treats usually starts around the beginning of February & ends around the feast of St. Giuseppe on March 19th. Walk into any Italian bakery & chances are you'll see glorious trays full of zeppole.

The tradition started back in Sicily (or so I've been told). There had been a long & hard drought; farmers were at their wits' end with worry. With nothing more to do than pray, they pleaded to their patron Saint, San Giuseppe, to send them some rain. The prayers did not go unheard for it is said that the rains came along, quite heavily. In thanks, the people prepared a great feast, including zeppole, to honour St. Joseph. To this day, on the feast day - March 19th, zeppole are given as gifts, to be shared among friends & family. There are many markets in Naples that have street vendors frying their zeppole fresh, upon request. Yum!

The zeppole we know today are slightly more refined than those of the Sicilian farmers that prayed for rain. They're made of a bigne' pastry (or choux pastry), often filled with a custard cream or a cannoli filling that includes ricotta. The topping always involves a dusting of confectioner's sugar, a few dollops of cream, and "amarene" (tart, preserved cherries), or maraschinos. The pastries are either fried or baked. Everyone has their own preference. Mine? Custard cream & amarene with some of the amarene syrup! I don't care if it's fried or baked...just give my my zeppole!!!

That brings me to zeppole in the Vaughan region. Believe me when I tell you the trouble isn't in finding the zeppole - it's in selecting the place you trust to churn out the very best.

Where do you get your zeppole???

CityTV did a spot on Sweet Boutique about a year ago, claiming they sell "the best zeppole in the GTA". There are a few other places (some that may surprise you) that churn out some pretty decent zepps. Here's my shortlist:

Aida's Pine Valley Bakery
in Woodbridge
Centro Bakery Deli in Maple
St. Phillips Bakery, with locations in both Maple & Woodbridge
...and I'm going to have to do my zeppole research at Emily's Bakery in Woodbridge. I've never had their zeppole, but they have the most delectable breads in Vaughan, so I'm hoping the pastries fall in the same league.

Happy almost-San Giuseppe day! And if you have a recommendation for an awesome zeppole-experience, I'd love to hear about it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

that's definately an aida's bakery zeppole in the picture. is that right?

Steph said...

You're absolutely right! Keen eye for the zeppole - I'm speechless. As a side note, I tried the zeppole at Longo's last weekend & they did not disappoint. Happy San Giusepe (for tomorrow!).