Thursday 18 December 2008

Christmas spirit...of giving


This time of year bothers me. Yes, I'm a bit of a Scrooge - but I'm a nice Scrooge. I don't dislike Christmas for any reason other than I think it's lost it's true meaning. Instead, it's become a mad dash for FRANTIC mall excursions. Ugh!!!

It took a 4-year old to show me the light...the one that's buried so deep beneath the tinsel & gift wrap that it's become quite dim.

A couple of months ago, my daughter brought home a letter from school outlining plans for a Christmas campaign. In it, parents were encouraged to reward their children with money for chores or good behaviour. At the end of a two week period, the child was to contribute their earnings to the "Gifts of Hope campaign through World Vision". My daughter was thrilled to be able to contribute $25.00. She told me that her class would be able to choose gifts for families in third-world countries - gifts like a cow, goats, clean water or books for school. She thought it was wonderful that she was helping children who weren't as fortunate as she is. My heart nearly burst from all the emotion I felt at that moment.

So this set the ball in motion... & I felt the Ebenezer-like quality slowly drain from my being. My family gathers together during Christmas & we exchange Kris Kringle gifts. We've grown so quickly that buying for all the extended family would literally break the bank. So, children continue to get gifts, but the adults get one Kris Kringle present. This year, I suggested that we forgo the gift exchange in favour of contributing what we would have spent on gifts to charity. Every family-member puts the name of their favourite charity in a hat & whomever's is drawn will receive the donation for that year. All this thanks to an idea from my daughter's school.

At the school assembly for the Christmas Sing-Along, my daughter & one of her fellow students had the privilege of presenting a cheque for just under $4500.00 to a representative from World Vision. She informed us that we had purchased a share in a well, a ger (winter shelter in Mongolia), dairy cows, goats, chickens & we had helped to educate girls in need. What an eye-opener. The things we take for granted...

Economically, things are tough. We hear about it in the news each & every day. Charitable donations have dwindled significantly this year. But really, what will I receive in a Kris Kringle gift that I absolutely need? And do I need this item more than a child needs shelter or water or medicine?

My family & I have learned a valuable lesson this season. Christmas is really & truly about giving - it's just a matter of rethinking the act of gift-giving & reconsidering the form that a gift takes - toy car vs. nourishment essential for survival. Once you've understood this, you've found the true spirit of Christmas.

I wish you & yours a joyful & blessed holiday season. Merry Christmas.

No comments: